Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) Legal Help
If you or a loved one has suffered painful and serious side effects due to the use of Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs), it is important to speak to our skilled Woodland Hills PPI injury attorneys. If you have been harmed by PPIs, you are likely entitled to significant compensation for these injuries and our knowledgeable attorneys can help you get this.What are PPIs and How are PPIs Used?
Proton Pump Inhibitors, referred to as PPIs, are very common medications used to prevent or reduce the production of acid in the stomach. PPIs block the enzyme in the stomach wall that is required to produce acid—the goal of PPIs it to eliminate this acid because stomach acid can cause or exacerbate painful problems in the body including:
- Ulcers: PPIs are most commonly used to treat ulcers in the stomach or throat. An ulcer is an open sore that forms in the stomach lining or the lining of the small intestine caused by a bacterial infection. Acid in these sores can be very painful and symptoms include a “burning” sensation in the stomach, heartburn, and nausea, among others. Ulcers can also form in the esophagus as a result of stomach acid. PPIs reduce stomach acid to prevent these problems. PPIs not only help prevent ulcers from developing, but also allow current ulcers to heal.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD): Gerd occurs when stomach acid backs up into the throat. When acid backs up into the throat, it can cause painful damage to the esophagus lining and feelings of heartburn and nausea or vomiting. GERD can lead to ulcers, lasting coughs, and even lung infections. Because PPIs aim to reduce acid, it can help treat GERD by preventing acid back up into the throat.
PPIs are generally used in addition to other antibiotics to eliminate the bacterium that when combined with acid causes ulcers. PPIs are taken orally, in the form of a pill, and are typically taken before eating. Some PPIs can be purchased over-the-counter and don’t need a prescription.Common PPIs
Many PPIs are very well-known and used frequently by people experiencing acid-related problems across the country. Well-known brands include:
- Prevacid and Prevacid 24-hour
- Yosprala (asprin and Omeprzole)
Millions of people have turned to PPIs for relief from their stomach acid related issues. However, PPIs may cause very serious, unexpected, and lasting side effects in users.Harmful Effects of PPI
Research has linked PPIs to causing a variety of very serious health problems. Common side effects of the drug include:
- Muscle pain and spasms
- Heart palpitations
- Bone Fractures (especially in people who have taken the medication for long periods of time)
In addition to these common side effects, more severe and unexpected side effects of taking PPIs have been found to include:
- Kidney Disease: Several studies have shown that use of PPIs can result in Chronic Kidney disease. Research indicated that those who use PPIs had higher rates of developing chronic kidney disease that those that do not use PPIs. Chronic kidney disease can develop slowly overtime, but can result in a person needing dialysis or even a kidney transplant.
- Gastric Cancer: Gastric Cancer is cancer of the stomach—cancer cells form together causing tumors in the stomach lining. Stomach cancer is among the top three deadliest forms of cancer, and the fifth most common. Studies have shown that PPIs can be linked to gastric cancer likely due to the fact that PPIs suppress acid and put people at risk for increased gastric atrophy (chronic inflammation in stomach lining) and bacterial overgrown inside the stomach. The research showed that those who took PPIs often are much more likely to develop gastric cancer than those who did not or took PPIs less frequently.
Because of these serious and life-threatening side effects, many PPI users have taken legal action against manufacturers of PPI drugs. PPI manufacturers such as AstraZeneca, Takeda, Pfizer, and others are facing this litigation over the serious side effects that PPIs can cause in Users.
Thousands of cases have been filed against these companies arguing that the companies did not properly test these products, that they knew about the potential of these serious risks, and that they did not properly or adequately warn doctors and users. As a result, many people have taken PPIs to help their heartburn, ulcers, or acid reflux, without knowing they could potentially be put at risk for other very serious health issues such as kidney problems and cancer.
Many of these suits are already underway and have been consolidated into groups as Mass Tort litigation. When a product harms a lot of people in a similar way, the court may classify the harm as a mass tort. Plaintiffs (those injured) are grouped together against the large corporation, but maintain their individualized claims and harms.Talk to an Experienced Woodland Hills PPI Injury Attorney
If you or a family member has taken PPIs and were later diagnosed with harmful side effects such as gastric cancer or kidney disease, you may have a mass tort claim against the corporations that manufactured these drugs. Serious health problems like gastric cancer and kidney disease can require lengthy and expensive medical care—if these problems were caused by PPIs, you should be compensated for these costs and other losses.
Understanding this type of mass tort litigation that requires dealing with a large drug manufacturing company can be complicated. If you feel that you may have a claim, it is important to speak to a skilled Woodland Hills PPI injury attorney who can give you guidance on your case and ultimately help you get the compensation you deserve. At Walch Law, we have years of experience helping clients with mass torts and other injury claims. We can talk about the details of your case and answer your PPI injury questions during a FREE case consultation—contact us at 866-INJURY2 (866-465-8792) to schedule your consultation today!