Essure Personal Injury Lawsuits
If you or a woman you care about has been injured due to the use of Essure, please reach out to our experienced Woodland Hills Essure injury attorneys who can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.What is Essure?
Essure is a permanent birth control device. The device is a flexible coil-shaped insert that is placed in the fallopian tubes. It is made from materials such as polyester fibers, titanium, nickel, silver-tin, stainless steel and platinum—all materials commonly used for medical devices.How Essure Works
The Essure device provides permanent birth control by creating a barrier in the fallopian tubes which prevents sperm from reaching eggs, and thus prevents conception. The Essure device is placed in the fallopian tubes via the vagina and cervix, so no surgery is required. Once in place, the devices form the barrier over the course of 3 months. The implantation of this device is permanent, and thus irreversible.
The product has been available since 2002, and many women turned to Essure as a method for permanent birth control for a variety of reasons including:
- Minimally invasive procedure—the Essure devices can be placed at the doctors office without surgery or anesthesia, as required with other procedures such as tubal ligation or a hysterectomy.
- The device is non-hormonal, but highly effective
- The procedure is quick (usually just over 30 minutes) and you can return to normal activity in a matter of days.
- Mass Torts
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Taxotere Injuries
- Vaginal Mesh or Vagina Mesh Injuries
- IVC Filters Legal Help
- Hernia Mesh Lawsuits
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) Legal Help
- Talcum Powder Legal Help
- Opioids Injuries & Deaths Lawsuits
- Essure Personal Injury Lawsuits
- Onglyza Injury Lawsuits
However, even with these benefits many women have suffered serious side effects after getting the Essure device implanted.Harmful Effects of Essure
Though the Essure device is has certain benefits over other forms of permanent birth control, thousands of women have suffered from serious side effects after implantation of the device.
According to the FDA, women reported suffering from side effects including:
- Abdominal pain
- Menstrual irregularities
- Depression and anxiety
- Hair loss
In addition to these side effects, the device has caused even more serious health issues specifically:
- Allergic reactions—Some women have had a reaction to the devices because of a nickel allergy.
- Migration of the device—Many women have suffered because the Essure device has moved and not stayed in place. When the device is not in its proper place, it can result in ectopic pregnancies, which can be extremely dangerous, as well as damage to surrounding organs. Some women have reported punctures to organs caused by movement of the metal coils.
- Device Removal—In some cases, the Essure device must be removed. Though in some cases the coils can be surgically removed, many times the patient must have surgery to have a hysterectomy to get the coils out. If the coils have moved, it may not be safe to perform the surgery and thus the device is not removeable.
Thousands of women have been injured by these dangerous side effects and many other women with the device may still be at risk of suffering these serious side effects.Essure Litigation and Mass Torts
After thousands of complaints about the side effects cause by Essure, the FDA finally restricted the sale and distribution of Essure. The FDA required specific warning labels that warned patients of the possible side effects as well as a patient decision checklist that doctors were supposed to complete with patients before getting the device. Still, even after this regulation and bans on the sale of the device in other countries, Bayer, the maker of Essure, continued to sell the item in the United States (the item was originally developed by Conceptus Inc., which was purchased by Bayer). It was not until 2018 that the company finally discontinued sales in the United Sates. Additionally, the FDA ordered Bayer to conduct mandatory follow-up of women who currently have the device.
As a result of their injuries from the Essure device, thousands of women are taking legal action against Bayer. Because of how many cases there are with similar injuries, the harm done by Essure is considered a mass tort.
The complaints against Bayer argue that:
- The Essure device does not work as it was intended because it can migrate or break, causing serious injury.
- Bayer was negligent because the company fail to warn patients about the risks of the Essure device.
- Bayer was negligent because the company did not properly train doctors on how to place the device.
- Many of the devices malfunctioned and Bayer failed to notify the FDA and instead continued marketing the product.
Because of Bayer’s actions and continued sale of the Essure product, many women have been injured and others are still at risk. If you have been injured by Essure, it is important to speak with an skilled Woodland Hills Essure injury attorney who can help you get the compensation you deserve.Talk to an Experienced Woodland Hills Essure Injury Attorney
No one should have to suffer serious injuries as a result of a device they thought was going to be safe and helpful. The Essure Injury Attoreys at Walch Law, are experienced in handling all types of personal injury cases, including mass tort cases against large corporations such as the Essure claims against Bayer. Bringing a claim against a large corporation can be daunting, but with an experienced attorney by your side, it is worth it so you can get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Financial compensation, or damages, received in a mass torts case can be obtained for:
- Medical expenses
- Recovery costs
- Lost wages
- Lost of enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- And any other losses, including costs for emotional and psychological care needed due to your injuries.
Our attorneys can use our knowledge and understanding of the mass tort claim process to represent your claim so you can get the financial recovery that you deserve. We offer FREE initial case consultations to women injured by the Essure device—we discuss your case, answer your Essure litigation questions, and discuss possible options. Call us today to set up your free consultation at 866-INJURY2 (866-465-8792) or by filling out our online contact form.