Onglyza Injury Lawsuits
If you or a loved one has been injured due to the harmful side effects of Onglyza, reach out to our skilled Los Angeles Onglyza injury attorneys who can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.What is Onglyza?
Onglyza is a medication used by people who suffer from type II diabetes. The active ingredient Saxagliptin works to prevent high blood sugar by regulating insulin levels in the body.How Onglyza Works
Onglyza is taken orally in the form of a tablet, and is not supposed to be cut or split. It is part of a group of medications referred to as dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors. DPP-4 inhibitors work to stop enzymes that destroy important hormones in the gastrointestinal tract. Onglyza helps to increase insulin produced when a person eats as well as decrease extra glucose that is produced by the liver and put into the bloodstream. As a result, Onglyza helps to regulate blood sugar and insulin in those with Type II diabetes. While the Onglyza has been success in this aspect, serious side effects, some even life threatening, caused by the drug have been discovered resulting in harm to Onglyza users.
- Mass Torts
- Asbestos and Mesothelioma Injuries
- Taxotere Injuries
- Vaginal Mesh or Vagina Mesh Injuries
- IVC Filters Legal Help
- Hernia Mesh Lawsuits
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) Legal Help
- Talcum Powder Legal Help
- Opioids Injuries & Deaths Lawsuits
- Essure Personal Injury Lawsuits
- Onglyza Injury Lawsuits
Onglyza has been linked to a number of mild to serious, life-threatening side effects. Some of the most serious side effects include:
- - Pancreatitis: Onglyza has been linked to causing Pancreatitis. Pancreatitis occurs when the pancreas, an organ located in the lower part of the abdomen that helps break down food in the stomach, becomes inflamed. This can result in serious abdomen pain, nausea, and vomiting. It can require antibiotics and pain medication, and in some cases time in the hospital for IV fluids.
- - Pancreatic Cancer: Onglyza has also been linked to causing Pancreatic Cancer. Pancreatic cancer occurs when cancerous tumors form in the pancreas. Pancreatitis can be a precursor to pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic cancer is particularly dangerous because it often goes undetected. Many people do not experience symptoms of pancreatic cancer when it is in the earliest, most treatable stages. Instead, symptoms of the cancer do not begin to occur until the cancer has already spread to other organs.
- - Heart Failure: Studies have shown that Onglyza can increase the risk of hospitalization for heart failure in users and ultimately, the FDA added a heart failure warning to Onglyza. Heart failure occurs when the heart is not able to pump enough oxygen and blood to the other organs in the body. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Heart failure affects over 5 million adults in the United States. As a result, over $30.7 billion is spent each year in heart failure related costs (medication, hospital costs, missed work).
Over 45,000 people die each year from pancreatic cancer. It is among the top 10 most common cancers and requires extensive treatment. Treatment for pancreatic cancer can include surgery to remove tumors, radiation, chemotherapy, and possibly, a combination of these treatments. In some situation, the pancreas is surgically removed either partially or entirely. Each of these surgeries is risky and can lead to other health complications.
Heart failure is obliviously very serious and can require extensive care. Symptoms of heart failure include shortness of breath, quick weight gain, swelling, fluid retention, exhaustion. Treatment for heart failure can require hospital stays, prescription medication, and ultimately may require surgery to put in a pacemaker to help the heart beat normally.Onglyza Litigation and Mass Torts
Because of these serious side effects, many Onglyza users, who have been injured by the drug, are taking legal action against the companies that manufactured the drug. When a company manufactures a drug, the company is responsible for making sure it is safe and that doctors and patients clearly understand the health risks and side effected associated with the drug. If the company does not do this, they should be liable for the injuries they cause to users. As a result, Onglyza users are bringing claims against AstraZeneca and Bristol-Meyers Squibb, Onglyza makers, alleging that the company failed to properly warn them about the serious side effects of Onglyza.
When many people bring a claim against the same company due to being injured by the same product, it is called a mass tort. Participating in a mass tort claim can be beneficial as you can share resources, information, discovery, and other materials with other plaintiffs who have also been harmed. Additionally, each person still files an individual case and can receive compensation based on their specific injuries and losses.
Financial compensation available in a personal injury mass tort claim can include recovery for hospital costs and other medical expenses, mental health care costs, loss of wages and loss or earning potential, loss of enjoyment of life, and any other expenses and losses associated with the injuries caused by the harmful drug.Speak with an Experienced Los Angeles Onglyza Injury Attorney
If you or someone you care about has been harmed by taking Onglyza, it is important to get help from one of the Los Angeles Onglyza injury attorneys at Walch Law. We have years of experience handling personal injury cases of all types including, cases against large corporations.
A case against a big company can feel overwhelming, but we can help you bring your claim and then stay by your side to assist you every step of the way. If you took Onglyza hoping it would help your health only to have it cause serious side effects, you likely have a claim against the manufacturers and deserve compensation for your injuries and costly care and recovery. To find out if you have a claim, you can meet with one of our skilled Onglyza injury attorneys in a FREE case consultation—we can go over the details of your situation, answer your questions, and let you know what your next steps should be. To set up your free consultation use our online form or call us at 866-INJURY2 (866-465-8792). Don’t hesitate! Call us today!