Granada Hills Uber Accident Lawyer
Uber’s popularity is no surprise in areas such as Granada Hills where extensive, efficient, affordable public transportation does not exist. The rideshare service provides convenient, affordable rides at the push of a button. However, when Uber accidents happen, it can be confusing to figure out who is at fault and who is responsible for paying for a victim’s damages. The experienced Granada Hills Uber accident lawyers at Walch Law understand the complexity of rideshare accident liability, so we offer a free initial consultation to help answer your questions and talk to you about your options. Call today to get started and get the money and closure you deserve as quickly as possible.Uber Accidents in Granada Hills
In densely populated areas like Granada Hills, located in the Los Angeles metro area near the congested 405, 5, and 118 highways, it’s no surprise many of Uber’s more than 15 million daily passengers are close by. However, the additional vehicles on the road only raises the risk of accidents and injuries from collisions with rideshare vehicles. Uber reported 58 fatal crashes related to Uber trips recently, but did not reveal how many overall accidents and resulting injuries occurred. Recently, an Uber passenger who exited their vehicle in nearby Tarzana was struck and killed by a CHP vehicle responding to an emergency call. These sorts of tragic accidents mean Uber drivers, other motorists, and passengers alike need to exercise extreme caution to stay safe.Whose Insurance Company Pays for My Damages?
Uber provides insurance coverage for their drivers on the job and also require drivers to carry their own personal car insurance policy. Depending on the driver’s status, the insurance company responsible for paying can change.Off-Duty Drivers
If the driver has not logged on to their Uber app and is not available for hire by passengers, Uber’s company insurance does not apply and will not pay for damages. The driver’s personal auto insurance policy must cover any liability the driver incurred if they are deemed to be at fault for the accident.Drivers Who are Available but Not Hired at the Time of the Accident
If the driver is logged into their Uber app and can be hired by a customer, Uber’s auto insurance policy will cover up to:
- $50,000 bodily injury coverage per person,
- $100,000 in liability for total injuries per crash the driver causes, and
- $25,000 in property damage the driver caused.
However, the Uber driver’s injuries and any damage to their vehicle are not covered by Uber’s policy.Driver Has Been Hired and is En Route to Pick Up Passenger
Once an Uber driver is hired and is en route to the passenger for pickup, Uber’s liability insurance coverage for an accident goes up to $1 million.Passenger Has Been Picked Up and Driver is en Route to Destination
Once the driver picks up the passenger and is en route to their destination, an elevated level of coverage under Uber’s insurance policy applies. That policy covers:
- $1 million in liability and
- $1 million worth of bodily injuries.
Uber’s insurer must also cover damage to the driver’s vehicle, but only if the driver also has their own personal collision or comprehensive insurance coverage.What to Do after an Uber Accident
After an accident occurs involving an Uber, there are a few important steps you need to take to gather valuable evidence, treat your injuries, and collect information that will help you in the future.
- Call 911 right away if anyone is injured or property is damaged
- Notify law enforcement and cooperate with responding officers
- Notify your insurance company
- Avoid apologizing, admitting fault, giving recorded statements, or commenting about your injuries
- Seek immediate medical treatment
- Gather important evidence including:
- The police report
- Photographs of the scene, the vehicles, your injuries, traffic control devices, and other evidence such as skid marks
- Names and information of everyone involved in the accident, any eyewitnesses, and the responding officers
- Receipts from medical expenses, hospital bills, paystubs reflecting lost wages, and any other documents reflecting your injuries
- Get the Uber driver’s personal auto insurance policy information
- Contact a Granada Hills Uber accident lawyer
If you or a loved one have been hurt in an Uber accident, we understand your life has been turned upside down and you may be anxious about rising medical bills, an inability to work, and your financial future. That’s why attorneys Robert and Gary Walch will start working hard and fighting for you from moment we’re hired to get you the most money you deserve as quickly as possible. Our team makes sure we avoid unnecessary delays in your case whenever possible so you can get cash and closure fast. Contact us today to understand why our team is the one you want in your corner.