Calabasas Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Calabasas offers motorcycle enthusiasts some of the most breathtaking canyon views and challenging switchbacks in the Los Angeles area. One of the most popular rides is a 50-mile stretch along the Mulholland Highway-- from the Ventura Freeway in Calabasas all the way to the coast. But if you ride, you also know the inherent risks involved. For one, motorcycles are no match for much-heavier automobiles and trucks and collisions tend to leave motorcycle riders vulnerable to serious injury or death.
For many, the time following any type of personal injury accident can be devastating and you don’t really feel like picking up the phone and talking to a lawyer. We get it, but if someone else is at least partially to blame for your motorcycle crash, you’ll want to work with a skilled Calabasas motorcycle accident lawyer to get compensated. At Walch Law, we have the experience you want fighting for you. Hiring us is easy and paying us is even easier—we don’t take a penny until we get you paid. Get in touch with the highly successful team of Calabasas bike lawyers today.Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Here are some common causes of motorcycle accidents and some tips on avoiding them:
- Rear-end collision: What’s often just a fender bender when two cars are involved can be quite serious for bikers. Make sure you leave enough space in front of you. If a car stops suddenly and you’re too close, you could get launched over the top and sustain serious injury.
- Lane-splitting and lane changes: Yes, lane-splitting is legal in California and makes your commute along the 101 a snap. But it’s also challenging for motorists to see you. And given your quickness and small stature, a sudden lane change could end in a major accident.
- Dangerous or reckless maneuvers: You ride motorcycles because it’s thrilling, but always understand your skill level, road conditions, and other factors, while paying close attention to other motorists.
- Blind spots: Automobile drivers need to do a better job looking out for motorcyclists, but that cuts both ways. You should understand that you can be difficult to spot, so don’t assume that the motorist next to you sees you, especially on blind curves.
- Speed: Motorcycles are fast but they’re also light and less stable than automobiles. Ideally, you should follow traffic regulations; but realistically, at least make sure you’re not going so fast as to be out of control (by the way, Mulholland Highway has a notoriously smooth surface and hairpin turns!).
Motorcycle accidents tend to result in serious injuries, particularly because of the limited protections riders have. Instead of a seatbelt, airbags, and a protective metal cage, motorcycles have helmets and, ideally, padded leather pants and jackets. More common, but less serious, injuries include road rash, broken bones, and burns. Apart from death, some of the more common serious injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents include:
- spinal cord injuries
- traumatic brain injury
- and even injuries that require amputation.
And while road rash may seem minor, it can also be quite severe. Your skin is a very important organ that protects your insides from infection and serves as a barrier. Road rash can cause severe damage that leads to infection or even permanent nerve damage. Not all injuries are obvious at first, either. For instance, several spinal damage could present as merely a headache at first. That is why it’s important to take detailed notes after an accident and work with a skilled Calabasas motorcycle accident lawyer to properly assess your damages in the event of an injury claim.
The most serious motorcycle injuries (including fatalities) are those that result from being ejected from your bike. You could be tossed high into the air, sent into oncoming traffic, directed through a windshield, or other such unpleasantries. Even the highest-rated helmets can’t protect your brain from certain high-impact situations.
Whether you’ve suffered from minor road rash or something more severe, it’s important to fully assess the events leading up to the accident and take notes (if possible). Your attorney can help determine whether someone else’s negligence was the cause of your injuries and get you the compensation you deserve.Bike Injury? Talk to a Calabasas Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
There’s nothing quite like the feeling of winding through the canyon on two wheels on a sunny Southern California day, but accidents can happen anytime and anywhere. Please do be careful out there; but if you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, protect your interests by calling the Law Offices of Gary K. Walch, A Law Corporation today. We have 40+ years of experience helping bike injury victims and will work hard to maximize your recovery as quickly as possible. It only takes one call to get started.