Winnetka Dog Bite Injury Lawyer
It’s no surprise when you walk into a home and are greeted by a wagging tail and four paws – dogs are one of America’s most popular house pets. Most dogs are comfortable being around humans and act friendly and lovingly to them. However, if a dog has a less pleasant temperament or is put in a situation where it feels afraid or threatened, they can suddenly bite and cause catastrophic injuries to the victim of their aggression. The experienced Winnetka dog bite lawyers at The Walch Law Group know the trauma these attacks can inflict and will fight for you to receive the check you need to cover damages from the bite and the sense of closure you deserve. Robert and Gary have over 45 years delivering successful results for clients like you are a rate of over 98%+; they believe in using knowledge, skill, and resources to secure the best possible outcome for you. Contact us today to get started!Risks for Dog Bite Injuries in Winnetka
Winnetka is a small area with over 55,000 residents that is located within the City of Los Angeles in Los Angeles County’s San Fernando Valley. Winnetka is close to outdoor, dog-friendly hiking trails at Griffith Park and Topanga State Park, numerous dog parks in the area such as Sepulveda Basin Off Leash and Serrania Park, and a plethora of restaurants with dog-friendly patios and outdoor seating. Even if you don’t have a dog, it’s likely you will encounter at least one while you go about your day in Winnetka or the surrounding area.
Unfortunately, even an encounter with a dog that starts off friendly, it can turn quickly and end very badly. Los Angeles County, Winnetka included, has a terrible track record when it comes to vicious dog bites and attacks. Los Angeles ranks second of all major metro areas in the country when it comes to dog attacks on mail carriers, and dog bites are on the rise among children staying out of school in Los Angeles due to coronavirus concerns. Because even innocent interactions can result in injury, it’s important to always exercise caution whenever a dog is present.Steps You Should Take if a Dog Bites You
Bites can happen in a split-second and without warning, so it’s natural to feel stunned and traumatized following a bite. Even though you may be in a daze, it’s very important you try and remember a few simple steps to take. These small actions can greatly benefit your health, public safety, and any claims for compensation you bring down the road.
- Seek immediate medical care. You’ll need a rabies shot, and it’s important to have the wound examined and treated because bites are full of bacteria and infect easily.
- Collect the owner’s contact information, information on the dog, and, if the bite happened on the owner’s property, information regarding their homeowner’s insurance.
- Photograph the dog, the location the bite occurred, and your injuries. If the dog can’t be photographed – for example, it’s a stray and ran off afterwards – write down a description of its appearance.
- Notify animal control.
- Don’t apologize, admit fault, or give any recorded statements without first consulting a lawyer.
- Avoid posting about the bite, the dog, or the dog’s owner on social media.
- Contact an experienced Winnetka dog bite lawyer.
In California, a dog owner is usually responsible for injuries caused when their dog bites someone. Owners face a strict liability standard, which has a much lower threshold than negligence for recovering compensation. To successfully argue your case and establish an owner’s liability, you need to prove that:
- The person owns the dog in question
- You were bitten while on public property or lawfully on private property
- The bite injured you
In most cases, if you can establish these elements the dog’s owner will be liable and held responsible for your damages. However, in some situations strict liability doesn’t apply and injury victims must show the owner was instead negligent to be eligible for recovery. The exceptions to strict liability are:
- Provoking a dog
- Trespassing on private property at the time of the bite
- The bite was from a military or law enforcement dog while executing its official duties
The aftermath of being injured by a dog bite or any animal attack can be understandably overwhelming, traumatic, and confusing. If you aren’t sure what to do next or how to start the process of recovering compensation for your injuries, the Winnetka dog bite injury lawyers at The Walch Law Group are here to help. We know you’re in a stressful, painful situation and believe you deserve a sense of closure and a check quickly to help you get back on your feet. We’ll start working on your case as soon as we’re hired to deliver the best possible outcome with no unnecessary delay. Don’t wait – contact us today so we can evaluate your unique situation, answer your questions, and show you how Robert and Gary’s experience and success make them the team you want in your corner.