Van Nuys Uber Accident Lawyer
You decided several years ago that driving in the Los Angeles area is not for you. The heavy traffic, aggressive motorists, and lack of parking spaces once you finally arrive at your destination are deal breakers for you. Since you live in Van Nuys, you have to take 405 to get to your job; thankfully it’s just a few miles away. Your solution was to sell your car and use the popular rideshare service Uber, along with public transportation where available. You don’t have automobile insurance anymore but you often wonder what your options are if you ever became injured in an Uber accident.
Whether you’re an Uber passenger or injured by an Uber driver, rest assured that coverage is available for your claims. But it’s not often a straightforward process and may require the help of an experienced Van Nuys Uber accident lawyer at Walch Law. Uber fights these cases hard but we know how to win them. Call us now to learn why you want Robert and Gary Walch handling your Uber accident case. The following is an overview of Uber accidents, how to prepare your claim, the value of working with an attorney, and more.What to After a Van Nuys Uber Accident
Depending on the seriousness of the accident and the nature of your injuries, it’s always a good idea to take pictures and write down information about the accident, including where it occured, traffic conditions, weather, etc. But the first order of business is always to administer first aid to anyone who needs it and move your car to the side of the road if you can. By calling the police, you’ll be able to get an official report of the accident, which should help you with your claim if there are any descrepencies in the account of what happened.
Unless you’re seriously injured (safety first, always), you should get the following information:
- Names and contact information of any drivers involved in the accident
- License plate numbers and descriptions of all vehicles involved
- Insurance information
In order to help your Van Nuys Uber accident lawyer best prepare your claim, you’ll also want to determine the following:
- Is the driver logged into their Uber app? If not, it will affect how your claim is handled.
- If the driver was logged in and searching for riders (but didn’t have passengers), then Uber provides up to $50,000 per person in injury liability ($100,000 per incident) and up to $30,000 in property damage coverage.
- If the driver has accepted a ride and is on their way or has passengers in the vehicle (such as in your case), they’re covered by Uber for up to $1 million in liability coverage.
- Uber’s First Notice of Loss or Trip/Data Verification page allows you to verify the trip (you’ll enter the Uber driver’s name and other details).
- Finally, you’ll want to file an accident report with Uber.
As you can see, Uber claims can be much more complicated than your typical automobile accident claim, particular when injuries are involved. And since Uber drivers are not employees in the legal sense (they’re independent contractors), the ridesharing company doesn’t have as much legal exposure as one might at first assume.Common Problems with Uber Claims
Regardless of the nature of your claim, insurance companies are not in the business of handing out massive settlements. Sometimes it takes an extra effort, with the help of a trained legal professional, to get the leverage you need to recover your losses from the at-fault party. Claims get even more complex and difficult when additional parties—such as Uber or other rideshare companies—are involved.
Claims are generally filed with the Uber driver’s insurance company first, although they may be denied once the driver’s insurer realizes it happened while they were on duty. That’s why Uber provides contingency coverage. However, some commonly reported issues with Uber claims include the following:
- Denial of claim (regardless of evidence suggesting the driver’s fault)
- Failure to reply to claims or questions about claims
- Low settlement offers
- Downplaying the seriousness of the injury or claiming the injury was a preexisting condition
Hiring a Van Nuys Uber accident lawyer will cost you, but in most cases you will come out far ahead by having an experienced professional work on your behalf to get the full amount of your claim while saving you the time and hassle of trying to do it yourself.Work with a Skilled Van Nuys Uber Accident Lawyer
So even if you ditched your own automobile and opted for alternative means of getting around, it doesn’t mean you’re immune to traffic accidents. If you regularly use Uber or another rideshare service, you’ll want to understand your rights and the injury claim process. Get in touch with the Law Offices of Gary K. Walch, a Law Corporation today and learn more. Don’t accept any type of settlement before you let us review it and if it’s fair, we will tell you free of charge. We are committed to getting paid the most following your accident, call us now to get started.