Oak Park Uber Accident Lawyer
Since you planned on going to your favorite local brewery afterward, you and your husband decided to take an Uber from your home in Oak Park to Malibu Lake for the day. After a day of fishing, hiking, and soaking up sunshine, you took another Uber to the brewery. Only you didn’t make it, because the driver ran a stale yellow light making a left turn and wrecked his car. Unfortunately, you also tweaked your back and also have some dizziness. Your husband broke his right arm and got a few cuts and bruises. You’re both still shaken up by the experience.
Since the at-fault party is the Uber driver, you should get in touch with an experienced Oak Park Uber accident lawyer at Walch Law to file a claim against the rideshare company and get you paid for your injuries and more. Working with Walch Law is easy- it only takes one call to hire us and we take all our cases on a contingency fee basis meaning you don’t pay us ANYTHING until we get you paid.What to Do After an Oak Park Uber Accident
In the confusion of the accident and the shock from your injuries, you may not have been able to take detailed notes or pictures, that’s ok we can help piece together your accident. Your first consideration always should be safety and helping others involved in the accident. If anyone requires first aid, you or someone who’s able to should call for emergency care. You should also have a Ventura County Sheriff or CHP officer make an official report, which could help with your claim later on. If the car is in the roadway, it should be moved to the side if possible.
Unless you’re too injured to do so, you should try to get the following information:
- Names and contact information of any drivers involved in the accident
- License plate numbers and descriptions of all vehicles involved
- Insurance information
Uber accidents are a little more complicated than non-rideshare accidents and you’ll need to determine the following (again, only if you’re able to do so; this information can be gathered later):
- Is the driver logged into their Uber app? If not, it will affect how your claim is handled.
- If the driver was logged in and searching for riders (but didn’t have passengers), then Uber provides up to $50,000 per person in injury liability ($100,000 per incident) and up to $30,000 in property damage coverage.
- If the driver has accepted a ride and is on their way or has passengers in the vehicle (such as in your case), they’re covered by Uber for up to $1 million in liability coverage.
- Uber’s First Notice of Loss or Trip/Data Verification page allows you to verify the trip (you’ll enter the Uber driver’s name and other details).
- Finally, you’ll want to file an accident report with Uber.
An Oak Park Uber accident lawyer will make sure you have the counsel you need to file a successful claim for your injuries. Just avoid accepting an early settlement offer (which is likely too low) before you’ve had the chance to meet with your attorney.Special Legal Difficulties with Uber Car Crash Claims
Uber drivers aren’t legally employees of Uber but are classified as independent contractors, which means the company has much less liability for the actions of their drivers. This relationship, meant to shield Uber from legal risk, complicates the injury claims process. It also means you have multiple parties involved as claims are generally filed with the driver’s personal insurance policy first. Uber provides contingency insurance, since otherwise they wouldn’t be able to attract drivers. Even so, some commonly reported issues with Uber claims include the following:
- Denial of claim (regardless of evidence suggesting the driver’s fault)
- Failure to reply to claims or questions about claims
- Low settlement offers
- Downplaying the seriousness of the injury or claiming the injury was a preexisting condition
Most of the various parties involved in these claims have legal representation, so it’s often important to have your own legal counsel to back you up. An experienced attorney will understand how to negotiate the settlement you deserve and provide a return on your investment.File Your Claim with the Help of a Top Oak Park Uber Accident Lawyer
Accidents are common but Uber accidents, whether you’re an Uber passenger or another motorist, can be difficult to sort out. You may want to consider working with a professional who understands legal terms and can negotiate on your behalf. Get in touch with the Law Offices of Gary K. Walch, a Law Corporation today and learn how they can help you. We have been winning judgements against Uber since the rideshare company started and will work hard to get you the same great results we have gotten our many happy clients in the past. Call today!