Encino Uber Accident Lawyer
It’s so hard to find a good parking spot at the local golf course in Encino that you decided to start using the rideshare service Uber. After throwing your clubs in the trunk and hopping in, all you had to do was sit back and relax while your driver drove a few miles down Burbank Blvd. to the links. You noticed he couldn’t stop looking at his phone and then, all of a sudden, he rammed right into the back of the truck in front of you—and hard. The lap belt didn’t do much and certainly didn’t protect your head or neck.
You have a severe headache, neck pains, dizziness, and nausea, which makes you suspect whiplash or possibly even a concussion. Needless to say, you won’t be swinging your clubs today. Your driver was clearly at fault, but he also was driving for Uber. So who’s to blame and how do you file a claim for your injuries?
Automobile accidents are often more complicated than they seem at first, especially when they involve a rideshare service. So after getting medical attention, it’s advised that you contact an experienced Encino Uber accident lawyer at Walch Law to learn about your legal options. We’ll take a look at what to do following an Uber accident, how liability is established, and the basics of injury claims.You Were in an Encino Uber Accident. Now What?
As with any automobile accident, the first thing you should do is administer first aid to anyone who needs it, assuming you’re able to do so. If your car is blocking the roadway and you’re able to move it to the side, then do so. It’s also a good idea to contact the police in order to get an official report, especially since you’re injured and want to make sure you can prove your claim.
You’ll also want to snap pictures of the scene, including damage to any vehicles involved, and take notes of the following information:
- Names and contact information of any drivers involved in the accident
- License plate numbers and descriptions of all vehicles involved
- Insurance information
Uber accidents are a little more complicated to sort out. Although some of this information can be obtained later, it will help your Encino Uber accident lawyer if you can check the following:
- Is the driver logged into their Uber app? If not, it will affect how your claim is handled.
- If the driver was logged in and searching for riders (but didn’t have passengers), then Uber provides up to $50,000 per person in injury liability ($100,000 per incident) and up to $30,000 in property damage coverage.
- If the driver has accepted a ride and is on their way or has passengers in the vehicle (such as in your case), they’re covered by Uber for up to $1 million in liability coverage.
- Uber’s First Notice of Loss or Trip/Data Verification page allows you to verify the trip (you’ll enter the Uber driver’s name and other details).
- Finally, you’ll want to file an accident report with Uber.
If this all seems a little confusing, and it may seem even more confusing after an accident, then rest assured that you’re not alone. That’s why legal representation is so important.Common Difficulties with Uber Car Accident Claims
First of all, it’s important to understand that insurance companies (even the ones you pay every six months) are not in the business of paying out high settlements. They may challenge your claim, quibble over the details, or offer an early settlement hoping you haven’t fully assessed the real cost of your injuries. This can be even more challenging when other parties (namely, Uber) are involved. While Uber does offer liability coverage for passengers and third parties, it’s not automatic and may take some extra effort.
Uber drivers are classified as independent contractors (not employees in the legal sense), so the company is not directly liable for your injuries. They provide a backstop of insurance coverage because otherwise it may be difficult to attract a critical mass of drivers. Some commonly reported issues with Uber claims include the following:
- Denial of claim (regardless of evidence suggesting the driver’s fault)
- Failure to reply to claims or questions about claims
- Low settlement offers
- Downplaying the seriousness of the injury or claiming the injury was a preexisting condition
In any event, you may have a hard time with your claim if you don’t work with an experienced Encino Uber accident lawyer.Get Professional Legal Help With Your Encino Uber Accident Claim Today
It’s never fun to be injured and missing out on golf or whatever you like to do, but it’s even more frustrating when it’s someone else’s fault. If you’re involved in an Uber accident, either as a passenger or another motorist, you may want to seek professional help. Call the legal experts at the Law Offices of Gary K. Walch, a Law Corporation today and learn how they can help. We are who you want fighting Uber and any other party to get you the most for your accident. We know this time is tough which is why we take all our cases on a contingency fee basis. Give Walch Law a call today and see why we have four decades of very happy clients.