Ventura Dog Bite Lawyer
Dogs are often called man’s best friend. No wonder – they serve as loyal and affectionate companions, therapy dogs, service dogs, and perform professional services for law enforcement and the military. However, if a bite or attack does occur, victims may find themselves left with catastrophic injuries or worse due to these powerful creatures. The experienced Ventura dog bite lawyers at Walch Law understand the trauma you’ve suffered and will fight for you to get the compensation and closure you deserve so you can focus on your physical and emotional recovery. Robert and Gary have over 40 years of experience representing victims like you and have a 98%+ success rate, so call today to schedule a free initial consultation, get your questions answered, and get started.Ventura Dog Bite Risks
Ventura, a city of over 110,000 northwest of Los Angeles, is home to many dogs. A more suburban atmosphere removed from the skyscrapers and concrete jungle, large numbers of residents live in homes with backyards. In addition, the area he large number of dog friendly beaches such as Marina Park and Harbor Cove Beach, dog parks, dog-friendly hiking trails like Arroyo Verde, and dog-friendly businesses make it easy to take your pets in public. It also makes running into a furry friend an everyday experience in the area.
However, even friendly dogs can bite if they are startled or feel threatened. The Public Health Department in the area reported that injury-causing animal attacks pose a significant health problem. In addition, not all dogs are friendly – they can even turn on those close to them. In 2019, a Pit-Bull mix killed its Ventura owner at her home on Sunflower Street after she had already been attacked two separate times by the animal.What to Do After a Dog Bite
If you’re the victim of a Ventura dog bite, it’s understandable if you are underwhelmed and not sure what steps to take. However, a few simple acts can help protect your health, protect the public from potentially dangerous dog, and help your legal claim down the road.
- Seek medical help and get a rabies test. Bite wounds have lots of bacteria and can easily get infected without medical treatment. Medical treatment proves important evidence about when and how you were hurt, as well as the severity of your injuries.
- Get information about the dog, the owner, and, if the bite occurred on the owner’s property, the homeowner’s insurance policy.
- Photograph the bite, the accident scene, and the dog.
- Notify animal control and give them a detailed statement about the incident.
- Do not apologize, admit fault, give recorded statements, talk about your injuries, say you’re “okay” or “fine”, or post about your injuries or the bite on social media.
- Contact an experienced Ventura dog bite lawyer.
Ventura dog owners are usually held strictly liable for any harm caused by their animal. Victims arguing for recovery under this theory don’t have to show the owner was negligent to hold them liable for injuries caused by the attack. Successful strict liability arguments must show:
- The defendant owned the dog
- The bite occurred on public property or when you were legally present on private property
- You were injured by the bite
If you can establish these elements, the owner is usually liable for your injuries. However, if you were trespassing on private property when the attack occurred or were bitten by a law enforcement or military dog performing its duties, you must prove the owner was negligent for liability to attach.Dog Bite Injury Damages
Victims of dog bites suffer physical, emotional, and financial trauma long after the attack ends. Owners found liable for your injuries may be entitled to damages for losses including:
- Pain and suffering
- Hospital bills
- Funeral costs or burial expenses
- Lost income
- Permanent disability, disfigurement, or scarring
It’s understandable you may be traumatized and overwhelmed after a being injured in a vicious attack. However, you’ve already taken a good first step on your path to a check and closure by finding the skilled Ventura dog bite lawyers at The Walch Group. From the moment you hire us, we’ll start fighting to get you the most money possible quickly so you can move on with your life. We understand the stress unnecessary delays can cause, so we will work hard get maximum recovery for you as fast as possible. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn why Robert and Gary are the attorneys you want in your corner when you want to pursue justice and compensation for your losses.