Tarzana Dog Bite Lawyer
Dog bites and other vicious animal attacks usually are painful experiences resulting in physical and mental scarring - even death in some instances. The experienced Tarzana dog bite lawyers at Walch Law understand the trauma you suffered and will fight for you to get the compensation you deserve so you can focus on your physical and emotional recovery. Robert and Gary have over 45 years experiences getting our clients the most money possible for their injuries and a 98%+ success rate, so call today to learn about the process and personal injury lawsuits, get your questions answered, and take the first step on the road to your recovery!Tarzana Dog Bite Risks
As in most cities in Southern California, Tarzana is a popular place for dog ownership. Sunny weather, pleasant temperatures, and the prevalence of dog parks, hiking trails, and homes with backyards make owning a pet enjoyable and convenient. It also makes encountering these four-legged friends a common experience for residents in the community. However, even if a dog isn’t known or believed to have vicious tendencies or hasn’t bitten before, their behavior can change in a single moment and put an unsuspecting victim at risk of injury or even death. According to the Public Health Department, injuries to humans from attacking animals is a significant health problem in Tarzana and the surrounding area.Steps to Take After a Dog Bite
If you’re the victim of a dog bite in Tarzana, it’s important you take a few steps that can help you recover, protect others from a potentially dangerous animal, and strengthen your personal injury claim for compensation.
- Get medical attention as quickly as possible even if you believe you weren’t hurt. Some injury may not present immediately. You will also need a rabies test. Additionally, bite wounds contain a lot of bacteria and are prone to infection without medical treatment. Medical treatment can also provides documentation regarding when, how, and how severely you’ve been injured.
- Get as much information as you can about the dog, the owner, where and when the bite occurred, and, if the bite occurred on property owned by the dog owner, their homeowner’s insurance information.
- Take photographs of the bite, location, and dog. If the dog was a stray, try to take a photograph if possible or write down physical details about the animal.
- Notify animal control and give a detailed statement.
- Do not apologize, admit fault, downplay or speculate about the nature of your injuries, or say you’re "okay" or "fine."
- Avoid giving recorded statements to insurance companies.
- Get legal help from an experienced Tarzana dog bite lawyer.
In Tarzana, victims of dog bites may usually hold owners strictly liable for any injuries caused by their animal. This means that even if the owner did not act negligently or have reason to believe their dog was vicious from its past behavior, they may still have to compensate you for your injuries.
If you can show that:
- The defendant owned the dog that bit you,
- You were bitten on public property or when you were legally present on private property (in other words, not trespassing), and
- You sustained actual injury from the dog in the attack
Then the owner is generally responsible for your injuries.
Some exceptions to strict liability apply, such as provoking a dog or being bitten by a military or law enforcement dog performing its official duties, but it’s best to discuss your situation with a Tarzana dog bite lawyer to see what applies to your case.Compensation- How Much is Your Dog Bite Case Worth?
Once you prove a dog owner is liable for your injuries, the court may award you damages for injuries that resulted from the attack. Though how much you may receive depends on the particular facts of your case like the severity of your injuries or the cost of your medical treatment, courts will give compensation for physical, mental, emotional, and financial injuries. For example, awards may be given for:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Wrongful death
After a vicious animal attack, you may be wondering what to do and where to start. However, you’ve already taken the first step and found the experienced Tarzana dog bite lawyers at The Walch Group! As soon as you hire us, we’ll begin fighting for you to get the most money possible. We understand the stress unnecessary delays can cause when you need your money now, so we avoid unnecessary delays and will get you paid as quickly as possible. Call us today to learn why Robert and Gary are the attorneys you want in your corner after a vicious dog bite.