Studio City Dog Bite Lawyer
Most dogs live up to their reputation as man’s best friend – this is one reason they are the most common pets in the United States. However, if they become unfriendly and a dog bite occurs, the victim may find themselves facing catastrophic injuries or even death and be unsure where to turn if they’re lucky enough to survive. The experienced Studio City dog bite lawyers at Walch Law understand the severe trauma and confusion that can result from a vicious attack, and we will fight for you to get the money you deserve and a sense of closure so you can focus on recovering. Robert and Gary have over 40 years of experience representing victims like you and have a 95%+ success rate, so call today to schedule a free initial consultation, get your questions answered, and get started.Studio City Dog Bite Risks
Studio City, with 5 major dog parks and dog-friendly hiking trails, a multitude of dog-friendly businesses and restaurants, and a large number of homes with fenced yards, is an ideal place for dog ownership. It’s also easy to make sure a four-legged friend can have ample exercise, as the year-round warm, sunny climate makes it easy and enjoyable to go for regular walks around the neighborhood together.
However, the prevalence of dogs makes it likely you’ll run into them on a regular basis while out and about in the city. Even friendly dogs can bite if they are startled or feel threatened, and this is common enough that the Public Health Department in the area reported that injury-causing animal attacks pose a significant health problem. Dog bites and attacks are not unheard of in Studio City. A jogger was recently attacked by two off-leash dogs in the area – one of the animals was returned to its owners and is now unaccounted for – and another woman faces rare criminal charges after her Akita attacked three people in separate instances within the span of a year and a half. This just drives home the point that dogs can be dangerous and Studio City residents are not free from risk of a bite, injury, or worse.What to Do After a Dog Bite or Animal Attack
If you’re the victim of a Studio City dog bite, you should take a few quick steps afterwards to help you recover physically, protect others from a vicious animal, and strengthen your personal injury claim.
- Get immediate medical attention and a rabies test. Bite wounds contain a lot of bacteria and are prone to infection. Creating medical records by seeking treatment can also help document when, how, and how severely you were injured.
- Get as much information as you can about the dog and the owner. If the bite occurred on the owner’s property, take down their homeowner’s insurance information.
- If possible, photograph the bite, where the bite occurred, and the animal involved. If the dog was a stray, take a photograph if possible or write down a physical description.
- Notify animal control.
- Contact a Studio City dog bite lawyer.
- Do not apologize, admit fault, give recorded statements, or comment about your health.
- Avoid posting about the incident, the dog, the dog’s owner, or your lawsuit on social media.
In most cases, Studio City dog owners are strictly liable for harm their dog caused. This means you don’t have to prove the owner was negligent to hold them liable for your damages. Strict liability is satisfied if:
- The defendant owned the dog, and
- The bite happened on public property or during your legal presence on private property.
There are some exceptions to strict liability that mean you must demonstrate an owner’s negligence to prevail in your lawsuit. For example, if:
- You provoked the dog
- You were trespassing when bitten
- You were bitten by a military or law enforcement dog during performance of its duties
Strict liability will not apply. However, it is possible in many cases to prove negligence per se if you were bitten by a dog off-leash. Los Angeles and the surrounding areas all have leash laws, which were created to promote safety for other people in the vicinity of a dog. If the owner was not complying with a local leash law when the bite occurred, they are presumed to have acted negligently.Damages You May Recover
Liable dog owners may owe you damages to compensate you for injuries you can prove were caused by the attack. Victims may be awarded damages for a variety of mental, psychical, and financial injuries including:
- Pain and suffering
- Hospital bills
- Lost income
- Permanent disability, disfigurement, or scarring
It’s understandable that after a traumatic dog bite or animal attack you feel overwhelmed and are confused as to what steps to take. The good news is you’ve already taken the first step on your road to compensation and closure by finding the experienced Studio City dog bite lawyers at The Walch Group. From the moment you hire us, we’ll start fighting for you to get the most money possible as quickly as possible. We understand the stress unnecessary delays can cause, so we will work hard get you the check you need and the closure you deserve with streamlined, efficient representation. Call us today to schedule a free initial consultation and learn why Robert and Gary have the experience, track record of success, and team you want in your corner.